Apr 14, 2007

Lima Beans with Brinjals


This vegetable holds a special meaning to me. My friend B with whom I stayed for 4 months after coming to the US had cooked this vegetable the day I landed here. After traveling for so many hours, crossing countries and time zones, this simple vegetable was the most comforting food for me. It suddenly took me back to India and I realized that I will always be close to my motherland whilst I was eating all the Indian food. Here’s the recipe:

Ingredients
For the masala
1.2 tbsp grated coconut
2.1 red chilli
3.1 tsp cumin seeds

For the gravy
1.1 large onion
2.2 medium tomatoes
3.2-3 brinjals
4.1 packet of frozen Lima Beans (Surti Papdi)
5.2 bay leaves
6.2-3 garlic cloves
7.1 tsp mustard seeds
8.Pinch of asafetida
9.¼ tsp red chilli powder
10.¼ tsp turmeric powder
11.½ tsp garam masala powder
12.Salt to taste

Method
1.Heat a pan and roast grated coconut, red chilli, and cumin seeds till the coconut turn light brown. Grind this in the mixer.
2.Finely chop the tomatoes and onion. Roughly chop the brinjals. Defrost the lima beans.
3.Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds. Once they splutter, add asafetida and bay leaves. Next, add the garlic and onions. Saute till the onions turn golden brown.
4.Add the tomatoes and fry till the tomatoes are cooked. Add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder, and garam masala. Mix well. Saute for some time.
5.Add the brinjals, lima beans, the coconut masala, and salt to taste. Mix and fry for some time.
6.Add one cup of water. Boil the vegetables till they are cooked. Lima beans take quite some time for cooking.
7.Serve hot with chapattis.

8 comments:

Richa said...

hey the veg looks yummy! love lima beans and just posted a lima curry combo. so many of our food likes are related to past incidents right?
thanks

Sharmi said...

lot of limas for L this week. this one is new though.
nice recipe!!

bee said...

we rarely cook brinjals. this combo looks very good. have bookmarked it.

Sia said...

i donno why, i haven't cooked anything with lima beans as of now. ur pics are really tempting me to try swapna. cant use brinjals as my hubby is allergic to brinjals.

Anonymous said...

i just came from another lima beans entry. haven't experimented much with lima beans. this one looks so good.

Viji said...

Lima beans are very tasty. Nice post. Viji

Sowjanya said...

Lima beans with brinjal, always my favorite combination. you reminded me my atta's dish. Thanks swapna.

TheCooker said...

For no real reason I've never cooked with lima beans. Your recipe is inspiring me to try them now. This recipe goes right into my to-cook list.