Feb 15, 2007

"Love actually" is all around

Valentine’s Day is one very special day for me. Two years back, my husband proposed me on this day. I still remember the nervous look on his face. As for me, I was down with cold and doing nothing else but take care of my leaky nose:P After saying the golden words, he opened a bag full of gifts – a book I wanted to read, a CD of my favorite songs, chocolates, and roses. This day started our wonderful relationship (touchwood!).

Since the time I have known him, he has been the most understanding person in this world. He’s been my best buddy- always caring, supportive, putting up with my temper tantrums, jovial, teasing me, and much more. This Valentine’s day I showed him my appreciation for all that he has done for me by cooking something special. I made phirni, chole, and tomato rice. Here's the recipe for the rice:

Tomato Rice




Ingredients
1. Basmati Rice- 1 cup
2. Onions, 2 medium sized - sliced
3. Tomatoes, 2 - chopped finely
4. Red chilli powder - 1- 11/2 tsp
5. Cinnamon - 1/2 to 1" piece
6. Cloves - 3
7. Bay leaves - 2
8. Black cardamom - 1 whole
9. Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
10. Green peas - 1 small cup (optional)
11. Cilantro or coriander leaves - 1/4 bunch, chopped fine.

Method
1. Heat oil in a pan.
2. Add bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon & cardamom.
3. When the cloves pop, put in the sliced onions & fry till light brown.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes & fry well till the tomatoes are soft.
5. Put in the ginger garlic paste & the red chilli powder & fry well.
6. Add the washed rice, green peas (optional), cilantro, salt to taste & the required amount of water. Mix well & allow it to cook till the rice is done.
7. Serve hot with onion, tomato & cucumber raita.

We enjoyed a beautiful candlelit dinner at home.Here’s the card I made for my hubby:


Valentine’s day is celebrated to tell everyone you love how much they mean to you. A big Thanks to my parents, little bro, friends, and relatives for being there for me when I needed them.

1 comment:

Pooja said...

Hi Swapna,
thanks for such a wonderful entry with your nice words to enjoy. :D
A warm welcome to blog world. I hope to get more from you in all the upcoming events...
thanks.
Stay tuned
-Pooja