May 9, 2007

Palak Pakoras

(This is my contribution to the A-Z of Indian vegetables hosted by Nupur. The letter this week is “P”)


We seem to have purchased some kind of magical spinach from the grocery store. I used it twice to make vegetables still it hasn’t got over. It’s as if everytime I keep it in the fridge, it increases in quantity. Now, I am a big palak fan. But, I can’t eat it everyday. Then, there’s the dread that if I neglect it, it will wilt and die. Yesterday, in another futile event to use up the spinach, I made palak pakoras. The pakoras turned out good, but the mission remained unaccomplished.

Palak Pakoras/Spinach Fritters


Makes: 10-15 pakoras
Cooking level: Easy
Preparation time: 20 minutes

(Special thanks to hubby for leaving some pakoras to be photographed)
Ingredients:

1.¾ cup finely chopped spinach
2.1 cup besan
3.½ tsp ajwain seeds
4.½ tsp red chilli powder
5.¼ tsp turmeric powder
6.¼ tsp garam masala
7.Salt to taste
8.1 tsp hot oil
9.Pinch of baking soda
10.Oil for frying

Method:

1.Mix together all the above ingredients. Add water and make batter.
2.Heat oil in a pan on medium level.
3.Drop spoonfuls of batter in the oil and fry till golden brown. Drain the fritters on paper napkins and serve hot with ketchup.

I kept the pakoras in a bowl and soon saw them disappearing in my hubby's mouth. That's when I yelled at him to refrain from eating them before I could take snaps. His response, "Take a snap of the empty bowl, and write that the pakoras where here some time back." I didn't know whether to smile or sigh:)
Also on Swad:
Apple Pakoras
Egg Pakoras

13 comments:

Coffee said...

Cool pakodas!!!!

BTW.... I cant see the pics of the smooties!!!

musical said...

Yum yum. I just finished dinner and then i see these pakoras and am hungry again :). Palak pakoras are my favorite. They are a special preparation during traditional Punju weddings. Your hunny is so right, pakoras vanish fast!

bee said...

poor guy. swapna, it's okay if you post a pic of the empty bowl.

Nupur said...

Awesome snack! They look perfectly tempting!

Suganya said...

YUMMY! they looks very nice...Mouth watering one..

Deepa said...

Simple and easy dish ...thks for sharing ...

TheCooker said...

Your neverending magical spinach sounds like Draupadi's neverending thaali. (Sorry to go all AmarChitraKatha on you.)
The pakoras looks good, very good. My hubby (and kids) indentify with your hubby!!
-TC

Anonymous said...

I love palak pakodas. Will try your recipe sometime. Nice entry!

Sharmi said...

hmmmm yummy, nice one for "P".

sunita said...

The pakoras look sooo inviting...with the ketchup on top, ready to be picked up...

Swapna said...

Coffee: Glad u liked them. Thanks for pointing out the vanished image. I don't know what went wrong.
Musical: Thanks dear! I didn't know that they are made in Punjabi weddings. I have hardly attended any though.
Bee: If I post the pic of an empty bowl once, I will have to post it everytime:))
Nupur: Your event makes us creative:)
Sukanya and Deepa: Thanks for your comments.
TC: Your comment was so funny, I was laughing for 5 mins:).
Hema: Happy to know you liked them. Do try and let me know how they turn out.
Sharmi: Thanks dear! What are you cooking for "P"?
Sunita: Go ahead and pop one in your mouth:)

Anonymous said...

Swapna, Pakodas look yummy!!! Apple pakoda is new to me, will surely try it. Thx for stopping by.
Aruna

Vicki said...

I just finished making (& eating) these. Delicious!